Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Lobstah

I developed a "bucket list" of sorts after about my first week of this assignment. Read a book on the beach. Check. Climb a mountain. Check. While I still have some things left on the list, last night I checked off two more.


I've had lobster before and even had lobster in Maine before. But, I couldn't go my entire assignment living on the coast of New England and NOT eat a lobster while I was here, could I? My co-workers told me I had to try fried clams as well. So, two of my friends took me to Wells, Maine to check these two items off my list.

One of the girls is a native of Wells and took us to a great roadside "dive" seafood place. The kind of place that if you saw it, you'd probably keep driving. Small and unassuming, the Fisherman's Catch is a local favorite. Packed to the brim with people, fresh lobster tanks in the waiting area, and paper towel rolls dangling above each table (for the inevitable mess that comes with eating fresh lobster).  Outside you could smell and almost taste the salty sea air. Picnic tables were scattered about for those wanting to brave outdoors for their meal. A huge wooden ship also adorned the outside seating area, equipped with bar stools for extra seating. This is classic Maine.














We stuffed our faces with seafood. The fried clams were good, but I came for the lobster. I ate my lobster. I enjoyed every...single...bite. Delish!





After we were stuffed, we decided to grab ice cream (because we hadn't indulged enough apparently) and head to the beach for an evening walk. I was rather entertained at the name of the ice cream shoppe, "Big Daddy's." Nice. As always, it is great to spend time with my new found friends and bittersweet as we thought of my departure next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment