Saturday, June 9, 2012

Bar Harbor, Maine: Part Two

Before I left for Bar Harbor, the weather forecast predicted 70% chance of heavy rain on Saturday. But, much like Wisconsin weather, if you don't like the weather in New England, give it five minutes it will change! I was blessed to dodge the rain all day on Saturday so I was able to see a good portion of the island.

Acadia National Park covers a large portion of the island itself, so I spent a fair amount of time exploring the park. Opened in 1916, it was the first National Park east of the Mississippi River and the first in the nation to have its land donated entirely by private citizens. Covering 49,000 acres, with 120 miles of hiking trails, and 45 miles of "carriage" roads, there was plenty to see and do.


The carriage roads, meant for non-motorized traffic, were funded and directed by John D. Rockefeller Jr. Built between 1913 and 1940, the roads were meant for walking, bikers, horseback riding, and of course, carriages. They were made of granite mined directly from the island. Cobblestone bridges are scattered throughout the park as well.




My first stop was the wild gardens. Here, there were several of the 165 native plant species found in the park on display. The Sieur de Monts Spring house is also located near the gardens. Click here to learn more about the spring and its history.


 After I finished up at the gardens, I made my way to Sand Beach. Creative name, I know. Beautifully bookended by craggy rocks and forest, it was a great place to take a quick break and watch the waves hit the shore.


Once I finished up at the beach, it was on to Bass Harbor to see the lighthouse. Still used as an active lighthouse, the grounds included a house for the current lighthouse keeper and their family. I found out after the fact there was a stairwell that led down to the shore below where better pictures could have been had. Oh well, next time!


 
My next stop was Jordan Pond. A huge body of water that sits right in the middle of the park, nestled below the large mountains. I walked the trail that looped all the way around the pond, watched some of the wildlife, and took my surroundings. It was then that wind began to whip and clouds rolled in overhead. I was sure rain was soon to follow, so I headed for the car.




I have one more post of videos and pictures yet to come on my adventure in Bar Harbor. I apologize for the delay in this post, I was without power for a bit which = no internet! I also had videos to post, but the blogger website had other plans, so if it works in the future, I'll add the videos in!



No comments:

Post a Comment