Monday, June 4, 2012

Bar Harbor, Maine: Part One

I got my brakes checked this week on my car. Why is this important? You'll see in a bit!

This weekend was a big one for me, I headed about 4 hours North to Bar Harbor, Maine. This area has been on my list of places to see for a long time and I was super pumped to finally check it off my list. I left early from work on Friday and made the drive up. With the forecast predicting rain, I was prepared for a bust of a weekend.

I reached my hotel at about 6 pm and headed straight for Acadia Park, a national park that encompasses much of the island that Bar Harbor is located on. The potential for rain on Saturday was high so I wanted to see as much as I could with sunny skies. My goal was to get to the top of Cadillac Mountain. Standing at over 1500 feet, this mountain boasts beautiful 360 degree views of the harbors, towns, and ocean below. The drive up was definitely nerve-wracking for someone afraid of heights. The road skirted close to the end of the mountainside and there wasn't a lot of room for error. The views at the top were well worth the drive.


Soon, I found out the drive up isn't the hard part, its the drive down! (this is where the sturdy brakes come in handy)





There were so many trails that criss-crossed over the mountainside and into the park, if I had the time for a hike, I would have been hard pressed to pick one! But, alas, I had limited daylight left and was tired from work and my drive. So I settled on just taking in the beauty at the mountain top and heading back down to earth as daylight started to dwindle. The park had so many great things to see, I started to make a list in hopes I could hit as many spots as possible on Saturday, despite the rain.







More pictures and video's from my trip to Bar Harbor (or as my New England co-workers call it, Bah Habba) are coming in my next post! That's all for tonight, folks!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos Chels! The second video says its currently unavailable so I will try back later!

    ReplyDelete