Monday, June 11, 2012

Bar Harbor, Maine: Part Three

I saved the best part of my trip for last (at least I think so!).

On my last night in Bar Harbor, I made my way to a place called Thunder Hole (insert snickers from some of my friends here). Just a small inlet carved out of the rocky shore by waves, it puzzles some and amazes others, all depending on when you are there. On a calm day, there isn't much to be seen. But when the waves get big, they crash into this inlet, forcing air out of the hole with the sound of a clap of thunder and sending water spraying almost 40 feet high at times. After a suggestion from my co-worker, I did my research on this spot and read that the best time to see this natural wonder is at 3/4 tide when the waves are especially rough. I found myself mesmerized by the ebb and flow of the waves. Although the waves weren't 40 foot high, it was still an interesting sight to see.


Yes, that is me chuckling with an older lady about her husband who was leaning way over the railing to get a picture, he almost got very wet.

 
Soon, the above scenario wasn't so funny as I got soaked by a rogue wave!

I got soaked just as I was turning back toward the hole. This is the shot I took just before getting hit with water.

With the storm clouds rolling in, the sea was churning and it was quite a sight to see. Much like other parts of Mother Nature, the power of this place demands respect. The water changes quickly and has tragically swept people out to sea at this location in the past.


The rocky cliffs overlooking Thunder Hole also offered panoramic views of Otter Bay. With the sun sheltered by the impending storm clouds, there was just enough lighting to get a few great shots of the sea.








No comments:

Post a Comment