Sunday, April 15, 2012

Waterfall of the Week: Wilton, NH

The idea this weekend was to brave the city of Portland, but without a solid plan in mind, I didn't want to go and not make the most of the trip. So, when all else fails, I go hiking! With a list of waterfalls in the area I've been steadily checking off, I made my way over to Wilton, NH to take in two nearby waterfalls.

Like most waterfalls in New Hampshire, they were hidden on unmarked trails off back roads in the countryside. The first set of falls was called Garwin Falls. A dirt path led me to the first set of the falls and, while beautiful, they were not the real attraction. About a quarter mile down the path I heard the rushing water spilling over the craggy rocks.

Now, while the waterfalls was amazing, I've posted several pictures of waterfalls over the course of my time here and wouldn't indulge you if there wasn't something more to the story. While setting up my tripod for the shot, I noticed a young man, maybe 14 or 15 years old, perched on top of one of the cliffs. He was what appeared to be his father and brother, taking in the sights like me. It was what he was wearing that caught my attention. It was a Clay Matthews jersey. Yes, another random Packer fan in the middle of the New England woods. I naturally struck up a conversation with the young man out of curiosity and as it turns out he was from Vermont and thought meeting someone from Wisconsin was pretty cool. We talked about the Packers for a bit, I took my photos, and moved on.



Next, I headed about 10 miles East to the neighboring town of Milford in search of the Tucker Brook Town Forest. Nestled inside a 258 acre preserve were the Tucker Brook Falls. Strewn across the many trails the wind through the woods are 10,000 year old glacial erratics--boulders believed to be left from retreating glaciers of the last ice age. This made navigation more challenging. Usually I can find my way back out of the woods with my photographic memory and little common sense. However, the path to find the falls involved several turns and trail changes, so needed to write down instructions to ensure I could make my way back to my car!  I reached the falls after about 30 minutes of easy hiking. Peaceful, secluded, and beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment