Thursday, April 12, 2012

Easter and Cottage Cheese Rolls

Easter has never been a really big holiday in my family, despite our Catholic heritage. My mom is usually busy with tax season and I was away at school most years. There is one tradition which my mom and I have upheld for several years, no matter how far apart we were: making cottage cheese rolls. Don't knock em' till you've tried em', ask my friend Dee! When I spoke with my mom earlier in the week she made sure to ask if I had bought my cottage cheese. Ha! Old habits die hard I guess!

Because I lived away from my family, I usually spent Easter with friends. This year was no different. Several of my new co-workers were kind enough to invite me to Easter with their families. I ended up spending the day with one of the per diem radiation therapists who, to be honest, I didn't know all that well. By the end of the day it was like we were old friends. Laughing and poking fun at the Twilight movies, discussing our shared interest of photography, and dishing on our past careers and lives. It was a laughter filled, joyous day, what Easter should be. The cottage cheese rolls came along and were a hit as they usually are. Here's your guide to making these scrumptious treats!

Mix together the night before: 2 cups fresh small curd cottage cheese, 1 cup butter softened, 2 cups flour, and a pinch of salt. Mix until the dough is elastic, roll into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight. The next morning:


Divide dough into quarters.

Roll out one quarter of dough into a circle. I neglected to bring a rolling pin along, so a Pellegrino bottle subbed in.


Once rolled into an even circle (yeah, yeah, mine isn't so even. What do you want from me, I'm using a bottle?), cut into triangles.

Roll each triangle onto itself to make a crescent roll.

Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes
In the meantime, mix the icing. Powdered sugar, water/milk, and a touch of vanilla.

Bake until the tops are just golden, don't over bake! 

Frost while still warm, and devour!!!


Hope everyone enjoyed their Easter!







1 comment:

  1. Bless your heart for this post Chels!!! I have been so hungry for these and I am excited to make some (mom is as well!) and that you posted the step by step pics!!! I tried to make them once and they were no where near as delicious as yours are! I might have to make some tomorrow with Sue before she goes home :( !!! Also, we missed you at Easter this year!

    ReplyDelete