Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Infected!

A virus hit my computer hard and fast on Saturday. Where it came from I don't know, but I'm back up and running! Sorry for the delay in posting!

Saturday was once again filled with hiking and hunting for waterfalls. This time I headed to the West side of New Hampshire, about 2 hours from my home base. It was on this trip that I found two waterfalls tucked away on trails stemming from gravel back roads. As I was driving down the first road, the image that crossed my mind was Deliverance. Now, that is no reflection on the people, simply the terrain. Very desolate, with steep cliffs and deep valleys. I trekked on a relatively easy trail to find the first series of waterfalls called Purgatory Falls. Nestled in a 100 foot ravine, the stream separates the two small towns of Mont Vernon and Lyndenborough. Initially I followed the trail toward the lower falls, but realized that a path had been made down to the base of the falls. Yes, down 100 feet into the ravine. It was a safe, but steep decent. But, for my trouble I was rewarded with an amazing eye level view of the falls and a great place to eat a quick lunch.






About another hour West led me to the town of Keene. The drive there was filled with vista views of the lower White Mountains and sparkling lakes. Located in a 26 acre preserve was Beaver Brook Falls. Set at the bottom of a steep gorge with cliffs rising 200 feet on either side, the brook ran alongside an abandoned highway. This was a stark contrast to my first hike. As I walked up the pavement of the old highway, I saw the brook slowly babbling downstream. When I reached the falls, it was hidden behind some trees. As dusk began to creep up on me, I headed back home.
A peaceful day of hiking in the woods, searching out waterfalls. That's a pretty good Saturday.











Later this week I will have an update on my next assignment! Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment