Monday, April 16, 2012

Give me some attitude!

Warning: this post is filled with a few random things. Some idle chat, a few videos, but valuable information at the end, so bear with me!

On Saturday, after my waterfalling, I went to the mall in Salem, NH to pick up a few things. I stopped in the Bare Minerals store to stock up on some makeup while taking advantage of no sales tax in New Hampshire! The lady behind the counter asked to do my eyeshadow, and I willingly obliged. What girl doesn't like a little pampering? She and I naturally began chatting and she made the observation that I was not from the area. Automatically assuming my accent was the giveaway, I told her she was indeed correct. She admitted my accent was one indicator, but my behavior was another. Surprised, I asked her to indulge me. She said people in New England have a certain attitude. They are slow to warm up to strangers, unlikely to engage in small talk, and have a certain harshness about them. I told her I truly hadn't noticed such behavior. In fact, my experience thus far had been positive and similar to that of what I would experience in the Midwest. After finding out I was from the Midwest, it was like a light bulb went on above her head. She suddenly exclaimed that she LOVED people from the Midwest because we are genuine, down-to-earth, calm, and friendly. I've heard these attributes before and it be deemed "Midwestern hospitality." She appreciated our welcoming nature and warned me to be on the look out for the New England "attitude."

Sunday, I saw it. On several occasions. I won't bore you all with the details of said encounters, but lets just say they were less than hospitable. At the end of the day, I was so mentally exhausted that I was craving home. I wanted something, anything to quench my thirst for a little of the Wisconsin life. I found it. It was delicious.
I also wanted to post two videos I forgot to include in my last post of the waterfalls I visited this weekend.

Garwin Falls, Wilton, NH (40ft drop)

Tucker Brook Falls, Milford, NH (10ft drop)


Last but not least! As promised last week, I am announcing my plans for my next assignment (for those who don't already know!). I have been asked to extend my contract here in New Hampshire and have agreed. The contract negotiations are still being finalized, but I will likely be here through the end of June. I am planning to visit home in early May. This last 11 weeks (yes, it has been that long) has gone by really fast and I want to thank everyone for their support! I will continue to post videos/pictures/idle chat on here as long as someone wants to read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment