Thursday, March 8, 2012

Putting on my dancing shoes

I'm an observer. When people first meet me, I tend to be quiet and reserved at first. I like to watch people, get to know them, see their behavior and how they treat others before I let them into my life. That characteristic can both help and hurt me on these assignments.

After getting to know my colleagues at the hospital, I've learned they are kinda cooky, funny, and genuine people who only want to help others. They have made every effort to get to know me and understand my background, while making me feel like I've worked there for years. Today we were talking about living in Wisconsin and my deep love for the Green Bay Packers and Donald Driver. For those who don't understand why I love Donald Driver in particular, let me enlighten you.

My aunt Tina is an amazing women. She is one of those people who when she walks in a room, it lights up. People are drawn to her energy because she loves life. She is a mom of five kids. She is an amazing artist and I couldn't even begin to describe how beautiful her art is. She makes me want to be a better person and be better at what I do, every single day. She also has cancer.

She met Donald Driver because they share the same Baptist church in Green Bay. He asked her to paint a mural in his house, she obliged. They struck up a friendship, and over the years Tina became close with him and his wife. When Tina got cancer, Donald did a lot to help fund her treatment. Last April, my cousin helped organize a benefit for her and Donald donated several items for the auction, including four tickets to any game of the last season in his private sky box. My mom and I bought two of the tickets and had the pleasure of meeting his wife, kids, brother, and mom. They, like him, were wonderfully kind, generous, and down-to-earth people. I shed tears when I hugged his mother because I couldn't begin to thank her for raising such a great son, so willing to selflessly help others.

I told this story to the people at work today. They apparently fell in love with my love for Donald Driver and with the kind of man he is. We talked about his new adventure on Dancing with the Stars and they promised to vote like crazy for him. They also decided to do a little photoshopping. Little did I know, I'm Donald's new partner on the show.


Man, I have really nice arms, but blonde is not for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment