Saturday, March 10, 2012

Into the woods

Picture this. I was hiking in the forest today. Just the peaceful sounds of the wild surrounding me. Fresh fluffy snow covering the trail. Babbling brook. The whole nature thing. What do you think I saw?

A Packer fan. Yes, that's right, they are everywhere apparently, including the middle of the White Mountain Forrest. As I was hiking today, I met a man hiking the trails wearing Packer gear. We of course struck up a quick conversation, he was from Maine, and we dished to each other our love of the Packers. And then we moved on. He was one of the only people I saw today. Of course, that was not the highlight of the day, but interesting nonetheless.

Today I ventured into the White Mountains. My co-workers thought I was crazy to brave the elements of the mountains and hike alone. But, being a semi-experienced hiker, I was well equipped for the day with my hiking boots, Smartwool socks, granola bars, water, and my camera. Standing at the foot of the mountains can make a person feel very small and insignificant. It is enough to truly take your breath away! There was no itinerary today, just drove. I plan to return to the White Mountains as there is much to see: roaring waterfalls, mountain vistas, and unspoiled wilderness.


Do you think each person is only allowed a certain number of truly amazing days. If that is true, I'm using mine up rapidly.


No comments:

Post a Comment