Monday, March 5, 2012

Black and White

This past weekend was a half bust. Saturday, it poured rain outside, on top of the snow. I did have the experience of having to shovel off the storm door to the basement in order to do the laundry. That was a first! Laundry, cleaning, and cooking were the adventures of the day.


Sunday was covered with clouds. The best thing to do was go to the beach, funny enough. The waves were huge and the surfers were plentiful. The skyline was dotted with people in black wetsuits, waiting to catch a great wave. Maine was the setting for my Sunday excursion.

First stop was York. It was here that I discovered one of the most dangerous stores, EVER! It is called the Stonewall Kitchen. Packed to the brim with sauces, mixes, mustard, jams, and syrups, I could do some serious damage to my bank account there. I sampled a bit of everything including their spiced rum chocolate sauce and with no sales tax, the deal was even sweeter at the checkout! I bought a few things and wrapped them up to send home for the parental units to try.

After I finished stuffing my face, I headed north to Ogunquit. Yeah, I can't pronounce it either. It was here that I shot most of my pictures of the weekend. Home to a 3.5 mile beach, this picturesque town has drawn artists for over a century. I walked the beach and headed to the walking path that follows the coastline called "Marginal Way." The views were spectacular as I watched the waves crash violently against the craggy Maine shore. Since the day was overcast, it was the perfect time to brush up on my black and white photography skills.


Then it was on to the Kennebunks. Kennebunk and Kennebunkport are two little quirky towns connected by a very short bridge. Packed with shops and restaurants, I can see these two towns being flooded in the summer with tourists. However, like most towns in New England this time of year, they were pretty deserted. This causes some problem when trying to find a restaurant to eat lunch, since most are closed for the season. However, I found a cafe, had some lunch, and once again, headed to the beach where I shot my only suitable color photos of the day.




















All in all, not too adventurous of a weekend, but hopefully this next weekend has more cooperative weather so I can get up into the mountains of northern New Hampshire.

No comments:

Post a Comment