Saturday, February 18, 2012

Coasting

Salt water. Cool breezes. Big homes.
This is the New Hampshire coast in a nutshell. From the house I'm staying in, the coast is a 10 minute drive. One road leads you straight from the house to the water. From there, you can turn left or right. Today I did both. Going to the left provided sweeping views of the ocean and upscale homes. To the right, a typical tourist trap. In the summers I imagine this area to be flooded with people eating corndogs, wearing tube tops, and flip flops.
No matter where you go, there is something you will not find along the coast: space!!! Of course, they are land locked in a manner of speaking and living on the water is a pretty big perk. But, it comes at a price. The houses are stacked on top of one another and yards are non-existant. I spent the majority of my day in Portsmouth, NH. Quite an interesting town filled with cute shops, fun restaurants, with lots of one way streets and limited parking (which I found out the hard way). The sidewalks are brick and the streets are really narrow since most of them are the original streets the carriages rode on. I enjoyed the day walking around. I stopped for lunch at a great little pub right on the water and had some seafood chowder (when in Rome, right?).

2 comments:

  1. Lily says she loves your (freeze frame) face in that video :) AND she wants to come visit your 'pond' in your photos. She always wants to know if there are any fishies in your 'pond'!? Such a little punkin, huh? Cute house!!! Great photos of the area! Glad to hear you made it through your first week. It will only get easier from here on out...new spaces, places and positions are tricky at first but once you get your feet wet soon you will be swimming! Love you bunches! Can't wait til your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I know, that was a great freeze frame of my face if I do say so myself! I'm thinking there are just a few fishies in the pond tell her, but I'll look the next time I see it. It is def. challenging here, it is a very different kind of nursing. I hate to say it, but I might be bored by the time week 13 hits, but we'll see. Hope you are good and Emmalynn is behaving herself and letting mommy get some sleep! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete