Saturday, August 18, 2012

Back in the Saddle Again

I made it back, safe and sound. It was only about 6 weeks ago that I finished my assignment here in Radiation Oncology, so I didn't require a new orientation. My first day back was Thursday and the other nurse in the department left for vacation on Friday. So, no time to ease back into things, just jump in with both feet. But, I enjoy a good challenge and this will be no different.

When I started telling people back home that I would be returning to the East coast for another 8 weeks, it raised a few eyebrows. Many people questioned my intentions of returning, declaring their concern that I would relocate to New Hampshire. A legitimate concern, I suppose. I originally came for three months the first time, that turned into five months. Now, another two months. When December rolls around, I will have spent more time in New England this year than in Wisconsin. But, rest assured by Midwestern friends, I have no intentions to move away from La Crosse permanently anytime soon. Let me tell you why.

Reasons I love La Crosse (and Wisconsin in general)
1. You can ALWAYS watch the Packer games on TV (you don't have to read the play-by-play off the internet like I did on Thursday night!)
2. The topography of La Crosse is stunning. We get the best of both worlds, flanked by the river on one side and the rolling bluffs and valleys on the other. (see video) 
(I took video during the take-off of my flight in La Crosse, it was a good distraction from my fear of flying while the plane was charging down the runway)

3. It is green! When I came home during my assignment in May, I had forgotten how lush and green Wisconsin gets in the spring.
4. While there is enough to do in town, La Crosse has so many outdoor centered activities, there is something for everyone. I favor hiking in Hixon Forest or biking the trails to downtown.
5. Riverside Park. This is one of my favorite spots in all of La Crosse. I love spending lazy summer afternoons on a blanket, reading beside the mighty Mississippi, having picnics with friends, or stumbling upon a random barbershop quartet concert. (see video)
(On my last night in La Crosse, I wanted to walk through Riverside and found out there was a concert under the stars event at the outdoor theatre. Yes, that is my friend Emily photo bombing my video. See #8)
6. Food. La Crosse has a lot of great restaurants. A few of my favorites? Piggy's soup and salad lunch, the Waterfront's spectacular salmon and amazing deserts, Buzzard Billy's eclectic decor and menu,  Rosie's comfort food and friendly "mom and pop" atmosphere, Fayze's breakfast served up with a smile and warm maple syrup (hey, don't discount the small stuff!), and last but not least, The Pearl's ice cream which is best consumed while strolling through Riverside Park at sunset (see #5).
7. Brats. Beer. Cheese. Enough said.
8. Last but not least: the people. Like I described several times in previous posts, the people of the Midwest are a different breed. Friendly, down-to-earth, fun-loving, and hard working. This combination makes for some of the best friends I've ever had.

I've spent time in my previous posts detailing all the great things in New England and don't get me wrong, I love the people here and scenery is beautiful. But, you can take the girl out of the Midwest, but you can't take the Midwest out of the girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment