Saturday, April 28, 2012

Where The Locals Go

Nubble Light house, the same one Sarah and I visited
I work with some pretty awesome people. Kind, generous, and filled with a love of New England. Now that I extended my contract, my co-workers are excited to show me some of their favorite spots. Today's adventures involved seeing an area I already thought I "saw." York, Maine. Except this time, I was seeing it from a local's perspective.

In an earlier post, I mentioned a trip to a store called Stonewall Kitchen. I ventured to the outlet store with my friend Laura. She is a big fan of their products as well and a big foodie like me. We enjoyed a leisurely car ride through the back country of Maine. The outlet store is more dangerous than the original Stonewall Kitchen. Filled with "oops" products that made it into the wrong jar or were overstocked. After an hour in the store browsing, I was afraid to approach the register for fear of my bank account. Turns out, I was able to buy twice the product for half the price! Win!

With our bags tucked in the trunk, we went for lunch at a quirky restaurant called When Pigs Fly. Specializing in wood-fired pizzas and amazing homemade bread, the smell permeated the parking lot and I knew right away it was going to be great. We split a pizza and headed next door to the bakery. It was filled to the brim with huge loaves of bread. Again, the smell was out of this world. I bought a couple of loaves to try and quietly mourned my waistline.




After a quick pit stop at Laura's house to grab my camera, we went to a local treasure: the cliff walk. Situated on the cusp of the ocean, this walking/hiking trail is a well kept secret by the residents of York. Breathtaking views of the ocean and craggy rocks perfect for sitting, this trail quickly became one of my new favorite spots. I imagined beautiful sunrises and quiet moments of reflection in my future. The path was lined with sea roses, daffodils, and lilacs.


While we walked, Laura and I discussed work, politics, life, architecture, relationships, and just about every other topic it seemed. She was appreciative of my love of nature and patiently waited for me to take my pictures. She was happy to show me her favorite parts of York. Another beautiful, sunny, New England day filled with amazing food, beautiful scenery, and great conversation. Can't ask for much more than that.










No comments:

Post a Comment