Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Hunt is On

"The Basin"
Back the White Mountains I went on Saturday, on the hunt for waterfalls. Why do I call it hunting? Most waterfalls in this region are on back roads, hidden among the trees, and usually unmarked. So, like hunting, you need to plot out your trails, be prepared for quick weather changes and rugged terrain, and keep a keen ear to hear the rushing water. I got a taste of waterfall hunting when my mom and I vacationed in Duluth, MN. There are tons of waterfalls near Lake Superior. It became quite a thrill when we would finally stumble upon a beautiful waterfall.

Waterfalls also provide a photography enthusiast such as myself the landscape amazing pictures are made of. Usually surrounded by greenery and jagged rocks, the roaring water is a sight to behold. Standing at the bottom of a 600 foot drop of water makes a person realize how small they are in the scope of nature. I can't imagine a better way to spend a Saturday than humping my camera gear up miles of rugged trails to behold a beautiful cascading waterfall, carving through the woods of the White Mountains and completely undisturbed by the hand of man.


My co-workers have gotten into the habit of asking me what my plans each weekend will consist of. Like my last adventure to the White Mountains, they disapproved of my venturing into the wilderness alone to hike. But I tell them surviving in the woods is simple: you make either really smart decisions or really stupid ones. I just try to always make a smart decision. For example, the best trail I took on Saturday was the Beaver Brook trail. With an elevation change of 1200 feet, a trail that fell off on the sides to the river bottom below, and several required crossings of the rushing river bed, this trail was by far one of the hardest I've ever hiked. Now, the clue that the trail would be rough was evidenced by the sign-in book and warning signs at the start of the trail incline. It is never a good sign when the trail requires you to list an emergency contact and warns of potential "tragedy" ahead if you are not careful. For all my "moms" out there who worry about me, no I obviously did not fall to my death nor did I push the limits of my own safety. This is where the smart vs. stupid decision comes into play. I would consider myself a relatively experienced hiker and know when something is not worth the risk. The trail, which in the summer months would be do-able, was covered with ice and snow. I realized the trail was impassable with the gear I had after about a half mile and unsafe to do alone. So I turned back with the notion that I would conquer this "Everest" another day. But, I came away with some spectacular views of the lower waterfalls as the fruits of my labor!
The warning sign



No comments:

Post a Comment