Sunday, June 9, 2013

Spring in New England

The first leg of my trip consisted of a lazy birthday driving up and down the coastline, stopping along the way for lunch in Portsmouth and a few photographs. I turned the big 2-6 this year, signifying the decline into my late twenties. Sigh. I chose to spend my birthday exactly the way I wanted to: relaxing. I was blessed to spend it with one of my favorite people in this world who helped make the day what I wanted.
Long Sands Beach

Jenress Beach

Exeter, NH



As I had posted in my last entry, I spent the weekend with the Gray family in Boston. Val and I made our way down on Friday to meet up with them at the Boston Garden for family pictures. We spent the night at their house and had an early morning wake-up call courtesy of the Gray children. Ah, but their cuteness made up for the early waking! On Saturday we made our way, via public transportation, back into the city. My first adventure on a public train was...interesting. Quite the experience, especially since part of the track was under construction. This forced us to get off the first train, get on a city bus, take that to the next train station, only to board that train into the city. All the while, toting a stroller and three children along for the ride! I give props to all the parents out there who do this on a regular basis because at the end of the day, I was exhausted!

Boston Garden.
Boston Garden.
Annie, her daughter Caroline, and I on the first train of the day!

Val and I stopping for a rest during the walk. Yes that is a Boston Red Sox hat. I borrowed it from Annie. Get over it, Brewers fans.
 
Along the route for the walk.

While Val worked, I made a quick day trip down to Amesbury, MA. Having been once before with my friend Ruth, I knew that the town was quaint with plenty of things to see. The day was beautiful. I spent most of the day meandering around town, stopping here and there to look in store windows and snap a few photos of the scenery. 




 I always have big plans for my trips to New England, picturing hikes in the mountains and sunny days at the beach. But, the time flies by far to fast to fit everything in. I have found that now, my trips are for seeing friends, grabbing late afternoon lunches, and catching up on life events since the last trip. As well as making plans for the next one......

Although it was hard to leave, as it always is, this time was easier since I had kidnapped Val back to Wisconsin with me! She spent a week eating cheese curds, frozen custard, driving up and down the Mississippi River, and seeing where I grew up. Her favorite thing about Wisconsin? Culvers. What can I say, the girl is easy to please!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment