Sunday, April 14, 2013

Things to Do Before You Die

Otherwise known as a "bucket list."

As a follow-up to the last blog entry, Regrets of the Dying, I wanted to discuss the wants, wishes, and "what-ifs" we all create for our lives. Creating a list is a way to catalog all the things a person would like to experience before they "kick the bucket." When creating a bucket list, I think the best part is you are allowed to image a life void of physical, monetary or other realistic life limitations. My bucket list is created without consideration of my back injury; in my perfect world, I could hike Mount Everest if I wanted to. That's the fun of such a list. I think it also challenges people in a way. When your dreams are written down in front of you, it becomes much easier to envision them becoming a reality. Based on the expressed regrets of those on their deathbed, living a life of accomplished dreams and fulfilled desires provides a much more peaceful exit to one's existence on Earth. So, in an effort to make those fleeting thoughts of grandeur a reality, I will detail my own, ever expanding, bucket list in hopes that I can continue to put a check mark next to each and every item.

1. Eat at one of the world's best restaurants. Now, I've consumed some pretty amazing fare in my travels, but have yet to eat at a premier restaurant. I keep this list handy whenever I plan a trip, hoping to nab a table at one of the world's best.
2. Do something completely terrifies you/conquer a fear. Doing this would be a good way.
3. Read the 100 greatest novels of all time. I'm well on my way with 18 already checked off this list, thanks largely to some amazing English professors.
4. Go to the airport and take the next departing flight.
5. Watch the 100 greatest movies of all time. Now, the validity of a such a list from only one source could be highly debated. Many people are passionate about the criteria by which movies are ranked "the best." But, I am basing this off of this list and this list. I've made far less progress on these lists in my life, having only seen 13 on the first and 25 on the second. You can ask my friend Gabe about his theories on my lack of cinematic awareness.
6. Hike through the Amazon rainforest.
7. Join the Peace Corps.
8. Shake hands with the president of the United States.
9. Learn to sail.
10. Hike the entire Appalachian Trail. I got the bug to hike this particular trail after exploring a short segment of it while stationed in New Hampshire last year. The trail, one of the longest marked continuous footpaths in the world, spans over 2,100 miles in length and passes through 13 states.
11. Become fluent in another language and visit the country of its primary origin. Being of Polish descent, I think it would be amazing to learn the language of my ancestors.
12. Help someone else fulfill a goal. I may never officially know when to check this one off my list, but how great would it be to perpetually have this on my list?
13. Attend the Olympics.
14. Take a cooking class
15. Go to the Superbowl (preferably when the Packers are in it!).
16. Create my family tree. Prior to my travel nursing career, I spent several months detailing out my family lineage. I was able to trace my father's side back to royalty in England. My 29th Great Grandfather on my father's side was William "The Conqueror," King of England circa 1066.
17. Learn to swing dance.
18. See and photograph the Northern Lights.
19. Go on an African safari.
20. Visit Machu Picchu.
21. Visit the Colosseum.
22. Learn to surf.
23. Be a part of a flash mob.
24. Be a movie extra.
25. Ride a cable car in San Francisco. Checked off in January of 2010!
26. Participate in geocaching. If you are unfamiliar, check it out here. Think of it as the largest game of hide and seek, ever.
27. Earn my Ph.D.
28. Go whale watching. Checked off in January 2010!
29. Take a helicopter tour over Kauai.
30. Fly first class on a trip around the world.
31. Drive a motorcycle along both of the coastal highways.
32. Go zip lining.
33. Visit Niagara Falls. Checked off July of 2012!
34. See Foz Do Iguacu Falls in Brazil. Never heard of it? Click here and prepare to be amazed.
35. Buy spices in Goa, India
36. Drive the Golden Circle in Iceland. Why Iceland? Click here.
37. Visit Devils Pool and Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe. The falls, the largest in the world, are amazing all by themselves. But Devils Pool is an interesting natural formation that allows people to "defy death." Click here to read more about it.
38. Stand at the base of the 620ft tall Multnomah Falls in the Columbia River gorge, Oregon.
39. Watch the sunrise on the East coast and the sunset on the West coast. Checked off in October of 2011 and January of 2010!
40. Scuba dive in the barrier reef in Australia.

That's my list. At least, my list thus far. I am always adding to it as I am constantly being inspired by the places I go and the people I meet. If you haven't created a list, I encourage you to consider it. I know in recent years it has become popular to do so; but I challenge you on the principle that it may help bring your dreams closer to reality or help you to realize dreams you may never have allowed yourself.






No comments:

Post a Comment