Sunday, April 28, 2013

Adding Initials

Last week I added some initials to my name.

OCN.

What does it stand for? Oncology Certified Nurse.

I spent the past four and half months studying in my spare moments, carrying around flashcards with chemotherapy drug side effects (yes, I'm 25 and still use flashcards), trying to digest every page of the certification book. After a brutal test and a hail Mary for good measure, I now get to carry this certification for four years which shows potential employers and patients my expertise in the field. Why did I want the honor of signing those three letters after my name?

Over the past few year or so, I've worked primarily with oncology patients and I've learned that not only are they some of the most complex and interesting patients clinically, they are also some of the most amazing. My family has been touched by cancer with several relatives battling this disease; some winning, some not. So, perhaps I was groomed for such a line of work from childhood. Cancer patients are the most courageous, positive, and kind people you will meet (at least the vast majority, there are always exceptions to the rule!). I found that everyday I worked, one of them would inspire me in some way.

How blessed am I to work surrounded by inspiration, courage, and hope? Certainly helps keep life in perspective!

No comments:

Post a Comment