Sunday, October 14, 2012

Cake, anyone?

Original picture I saw of the rainbow cake.

If you are not acquainted with the website Pinterest, consider yourself lucky.

Pinterest is a giant, virtual pin board of sorts where you can keep links to your favorite websites, recipes, photos, hairstyles, and just about anything else all in one place. You can also see the pins of others. Anyway, a few months ago I saw a picture of a rainbow cake. Six layers tall, each being a different color of the rainbow. Covered with plain white frosting, it was a sight to see once sliced. I instantly wanted a reason to attempt this cake.

My friend Val's upcoming birthday was perfect.

The fact that she let me stay in her house with her and her husband was reason enough, let alone the fact that I love her to death and she is one of the most kind, generous, and amazingly funny people I have ever met.

The plan was put in place the first week I arrived back in New Hampshire. Another friend, Jenn, has a side business of cake making. Now, as most of my friends know, my skills in the kitchen reside mainly in baking. However, my frosting making skills suck. So, I enlisted the help of Jenn.

One Sunday afternoon, two women, six layers of colored cake, lots (and lots) of white butter cream frosting, and many laughs later, one stupendous cake was created. It barely fit in Jenn's fridge for the night!





 
The next day, I lured Val down from her department to surprise her at work. The cake was a sight to behold. Mission accomplished!

Amazingly, all of the cake was consumed or distributed to people to take home.

No comments:

Post a Comment