Thursday, September 20, 2012

Blissful Chaos

As many of you know, I have been doing part-time photography over the past year or so. Mainly portrait photography of children at the behest of some of my close friends, simply wanting pictures of their kids. The first session I did, I was terrified. A brave co-worker of mine requested a few pictures of her twin girls in the park. I wasn't sure what her expectations were or how the pictures would turn out. I had primarily done landscape photography simply as a hobby, but never thought of doing "people pictures." People are so much more challenging to capture than an expansive landscape. They move. They have natural shadows on their faces. They have expectations of the finished product.

Since that first session, my hobby has expanded and I have developed a portfolio of sorts. With every session, I learn something new. I also get to know my friends and their families better. This weekend I had the absolute privilege to see my friend Annie and her beautiful family through the lens. I became acquainted Annie and her husband Josh on my last assignment here in New Hampshire. I wrote about them previously in my blog. Annie and Josh have four children. Three of their children, Caroline, Jackson, and Ryan, reside with them at home. Their fourth, and youngest child, Ethan, is no longer with us on this earth. Ethan passed away only a few days after he was born. A tragedy, no doubt. One that many cannot understand. But, I have witnessed the strength and grace of this family while wading through the ocean of grief and sadness that comes with such a passing.

But, I write this entry not to dwell on the death of Ethan, but to celebrate his life and the lives of his beautiful family. Annie asked me many months ago, if I would do family pictures for her. Of course, I was honored and agreed. I had spent time with Annie, Josh, and the kids at their home, eating dinner and watching the kids run around the house. Blissful chaos, as Annie calls it.

The day finally came this last weekend for pictures. It was a beautiful day. Sunny, breezy, perfect for pictures by the ocean. I loved watching the two older kids run around, excited to see a shell on the beach or a butterfly in the sky. Butterflies hold a particular importance, representing the spirit of sweet baby Ethan. Jackson would occasionally shout out, "Hi Ethan!" as a butterfly would flutter by. The youngest, still learning to keep his feet under him, would look up at me with his stunning blue eyes, tilt his head to the side, and grin. The kids were running in opposite directions, tears were shed from scraped knees after a fall, and the late afternoon crankiness of a child without a nap hung in the air. While Josh and Annie's children are beautiful, I was most captivated by the parents themselves. It was clear to me, even through my camera lens, that this family is so full of love. Now that is something pretty spectacular to behold.






 
Blissful chaos, captured.
 
Follow Annie's blog here: http://ethanslove.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment