Friday, July 6, 2012

The End

I have officially made my way back to my home in La Crosse. It feels good to be back, but surreal at the same time. It is as if the home I left 5 months ago isn't the same. I don't think it has changed, but perhaps I have changed. It is amazing to me to think of a year ago, that I never thought I would make it to this place in my life. That I would never really accomplish such an adventure, only dream about it.

The last few days of my assignment were tough. It was hard to say goodbye to the amazing people I had met and scary to think of losing the friendships I had made. I had to promise myself, and some other people, that I would return one day, if not for work then for vacation. This made my departure easier.

In my last week, my mom flew into Boston on Tuesday to stay with me and help me drive back to Wisconsin. I enjoyed showing her around the East coast. She was able to meet several of my co-workers and my amazing landlords. We came home from dinner one night and found a surprise hanging from the door.



Yep, fresh steamed lobsters. Again, my landlords were amazing.


Mom and I began the process of packing the car Friday night and took the day on Saturday to bum around shopping, filling the car even more! The weight of leaving finally hit me Sunday morning as we got in the car to leave. It is such an odd feeling to describe. I felt torn between two worlds. I have a life here in La Crosse, but now I feel like I have a life in New England. I wanted to go home, but wanted to stay at the same time. This was the bittersweet part of travel nursing I had not prepared myself for.

My recruiters have already been pursuing my next assignment; but for now, I'm content to join the ranks of the unemployed and catch up on the life I was missing here in Wisconsin.

Pictures and video from Niagara Falls in the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment