Thursday, May 24, 2012

Invested

When I first started my assignment, I went into work with the mindset that if I didn't make any friends at work, that would be okay. I was here to better myself, gain new skills and knowledge, and see the country. I was here to do a job, not make friends. I think I wanted to believe that if I didn't make friends with people, it would be much easier to leave after three months. No strings attached. I've said goodbye to many people in my life and didn't want to deal with saying goodbyes every three months.

That idea went out the window my first day on the job.

I don't know if I am naturally drawn to people or if they are drawn to me, or both. But I find myself intertwined in the lives of my co-workers, forming what I hope will be lasting relationships. I attend their softball games, eat dinner at their houses, and hang out with their kids.

This week, I realized how invested I am in these new people in my life.

With a flair for sarcastic humor, Annie and I were instant friends for obvious reasons. We kept each other sane during the work week, went to the movies together, I even had the opportunity to spend an evening playing with her three beautiful kids. She and her husband, a minister, are some of the most down to earth people I have met. Real people. In the past week, their lives were turned upside down.

Only 26 weeks into her fourth pregnancy, she was put on bed rest after her water broke while I was visiting home. When I heard, still 3 days away from getting back to New Hampshire, I was anxious to return to offer support and help if she needed it. I planned on braving Boston to see her in the hospital and ease some of her inevitable boredom on Sunday. She developed an infection and required an emergent C-section on Saturday. She was 28 weeks pregnant. She delivered a beautiful baby boy, who they named Ethan. Over the next few days, she kept me posted via Facebook updates and text messages on Ethan's fight for life, battling infection, poor lung development, and a brain bleed.

Sadly, Ethan passed away last night. He was 4 days old.

They have dealt with this tragedy with strength, faith, and grace that you rarely see in life. After speaking with her husband this afternoon, I realized how lucky I am to have come to know such amazing people.

Relationships comprise such a large part of our lives, good ones and bad ones. Hopefully we soak up the joy of the good ones and learn from the bad ones. All my friends have taught me something that I carry with me in my daily life. Some have taught me how to laugh till it hurts. Some have taught me to let go of the little things. Some have taught me when life hands you lemons, find someone life handed vodka and have a party. While I still love and adore my friends and family at home, I get the amazing opportunity to form new friendships, learn new things, and make new memories. And how awesome is that?

One last thought:
If I accomplish anything by writing this entry, my hope is that it is prayers lent from my old friends at home to my new friend and her family during this difficult time.



No comments:

Post a Comment