Sunday, March 18, 2012

Taking on the Fighting Irish: Part One

Bahston. Aka: Boston.

Large Irish population + St. Patrick's Day = General Mayhem

I braved the city on Saturday with Jeff and Cindy to take in the flower show and a few other sights we missed on our trip last weekend. The Boston flower show is an annual event held at the Seaport World Trade Center. I was leery when Cindy first offered to bring me along. Although I love gardening, I didn't think a full morning of flowers would capture my interest. I was proven wrong with the first few steps through the door. It was amazing to see what people can do with flowers and greenery. Hats, shoes, tiny landscapes, and large gardens filled the building. There were tons of vendors with everything from seeds and bulbs to lawn furniture and shower heads (yes, there was a shower head salesman at the flower show. I don't know why.).











After we had soaked up enough of the beauty at the flower show, we headed down the street to a restaurant on the water called "Legal Seafood." The restaurant was very popular and had an awesome view of the harbor. It was here that Jeff convinced me to try raw oysters for the first time. Now, some people know of my texture aversion with foods (canned peaches, bananas, ect, ect). So, you can imagine my thoughts when I saw the oysters come to the table. But, I always say, I'll try any food at least once. They were awesome! Topped with a little Asian ginger sauce, I slurped em' down! What I did not know is that you can order oysters ala carte. For example, this restaurant had oysters from about 10 different parts of the country. We tried two kinds from Washington state and one from Massachusetts.

My guide to eating oysters.
Step one: Eye up the enemy

Step two: be brave!

Step three: slurp it down

Step four: Decide if it will stay down.

Stay tuned for part two of my adventure in Boston on St. Patty's day!

No comments:

Post a Comment