Sunday, February 26, 2012

A History Lesson

If I asked you what happend on April 19, 1775 in American history, would you know the answer? No? Don't worry, I couldn't jog my memory back to high school history class either.

In an attempt to round out my Massechusettes weekend, I walked the footsetps of the nation's first freedom fighters. I started in Lexington. It was here where the first blood of the Revolutionary war was shed on April 19th, 1775. I walked the path of Paul Revere's infamous midnight ride to warn
Samuel Adams and John Handcock that the British were en route. The Battle Green, located in the center of town, isn't as expansive as you'd think. But, 3,500 colonial militia and 1,700 British redcoats began the battle here. It wasn't intended to be the beginning of the fight, but a single shot was fired, still unknown from which side, and the young British soldiers followed it with open fire. When the smoke cleared, 8 colonials were dead. News of the of the shooting began spreading through neighboring communities. The British then began their march to Concord. I traced their path from Lexington to Concord today.

Upon arrival in Concord, the British soldiers began searching house-to-house for weapons. Col. Smith of the colnials sent several soldiers over the North Bridge to seize supplies hidden at a neighboring farm. It was at this bridge that the first shot was fired by the colonials on the British troops. Being outnumbered four to one, the Brits began their retreat back to Boston. They first had to endure a gauntlet of colonial fire. The success of the fight convinced the colonial people that they were indeed prepared to fight for their rights.



I also got a peek at some literary history. Concord is home to the Orchard House, the setting for the book Little Women,written by Louisa May Alcott. The highlight of the day was my visit to Walden Pond. This serene 460 acre park was home to environmentalist and author, Henry David Thoreau (one of my favorites!). He spent two years here in solitude in a one bedroom cabin he built himself. After walking the around the pond, it was easy to see why he picked this place for reflection.








My view at Walden Pond. Talk about peaceful, huh?



I then headed north to Lowell, MA. On the banks of the Merrimack River, this city was the country's first planned industrial city and historic center of the American textile industry. When compared to the first two cities on my itinerary for the day, it was a stark contrast. There was an errie, empty feeling to the town, although it was bustling and busy at the same time. Dirty and polluted, it reminded me of a "bad part of town." Wasn't much to see, so after some delicious lunch at an organic vegetarian cafe, I headed back "home."



Hopefully I haven't lost everyone with my history lesson. A snooze fest for some, but I found it interesting, especially to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment